<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The Now Playing thread
Go to page       >>  
Moderators: Sleepy
Author Post
Sleepy
Wed Sep 05 2007, 08:06AM

Registered Member #1
I thought it would be interesting to see what video games (of any genre or system) everyone is playing right now. We can consider this to be an ongoing thread that you can feel free to post to whenever you start playing new games. I think this will be an interesting way to learn about new games that we might be interested in as well as discovering what everyone's tastes are.

To give this some structure, let's consider only games that you have played in the past month as games you are playing "right now". Some may argue that a month is too long, but if you are a gamer with a job and a family, that may be how often you get a chance to play. Let's also limit it to games you plan to continue to play in the future (the exception being if you have completed the game)... something that you played once and never want to see again would not be a "Now Playing" game.

As a final "rule" let's try to rate how much we are enjoying each particular game right now. I don't expect this to be anything remotely like an in-depth review. Just a quick number between 1 and 10 should suffice - where 1 means "I'm not really having much fun, but something continues to compel me to play" and 10 means "I spend every waking moment thinking about the next time I'll get a chance to play". Note that since you are still playing the game, 1 does not mean the game is terrible. You wouldn't still be playing it if it was. 1 just means it's very low on your enjoyment scale and perhaps you just feel the drive to complete the game in spite of it not being fun anymore (I know I have felt this many times).

OK. I'll start:

Ninety-Nine Nights - 6
Narbacular Drop - 7
Devastation - 2
Max Payne 2 - 7
Puzzle Quest - 8
Marvel Trading Card Game - 5
Grand Theft Auto III - 4
Guild Wars - 5

[ Edited Wed Sep 05 2007, 11:58AM ]
Andromus
Wed Sep 05 2007, 07:24PM
Registered Member #15
Runaway 2 - 5
3 in Three - 9
System's Twilight - 8
Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - 6
Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - 5
Demiath
Thu Sep 06 2007, 03:43AM
Registered Member #13
BioShock: 8
System Shock II: 7
Strife: 6
Deeper Dungeons (Dungeon Keeper I Expansion Pack): 6
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion: 5

[ Edited Thu Sep 06 2007, 03:55AM ]

Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't. (Hamlet, 2.2.200-1)
Parasol
Thu Sep 06 2007, 12:46PM

Registered Member #14
Sleepy: A grand idea! I somehow find lists of what other people are playing quite fascinating. I'm not really sure why, however I fully intend to jump into your thread and get some minor discussions going on for some of the titles people are playing as well. ;3

Ninety-Nine Nights is the first game that jumps out at me... N3 and Ridge Racer 6 were the sole reasons I bought a 360 at launch, for I truly love the Dynasty Warriors series of games... combining that with Mizuguchi's direction, and some absolutely beautiful character designs, this should theoretically be my most favourite game of all time! Yet... it took me about a year after I got a 360 to buy it (mainly due to waiting for a price drop), and I still have only played the first characters missions. I'm not really sure why-- it just seems that whenever I want to play a DW-style game, I just end up playing DW itself. Ah well! One thing that did concern me about the game though, is that you need seperate save slots for each character... if you overwrite a previous characters save, you lose all your character progression, and have to start their missions over from Level 1 again.

Marvel Trading Card Game - I completely forgot that this game existed! Is it any good? I do like computerised TCGs when done well, because I sure don't know anybody to play actual TCGs with...

Andromus: Ah, 3 in Three! I vaguely remember that game (made by the Fools Errand guy, right?), but I don't think I ever really got into it that much. I seem to remember that it was more a series of more generic puzzles, as opposed to the incredibly clever intertwining puzzles that was The Fool's Errand. I also recall far too many wordsearches, but maybe that's just my memory, because I tend to get tired of wordsearches when there's more than one in a puzzle game...

As for the games I've been playing...

Pharaoh's Tomb - 6
Bratz Rock Angelz (on PS2) - 8
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - 7

"What twisted crime of logic would merit such a sentence?"
Andromus
Thu Sep 06 2007, 03:21PM
Registered Member #15
Parasol wrote ...

Andromus: Ah, 3 in Three! I vaguely remember that game (made by the Fools Errand guy, right?), but I don't think I ever really got into it that much. I seem to remember that it was more a series of more generic puzzles, as opposed to the incredibly clever intertwining puzzles that was The Fool's Errand. I also recall far too many wordsearches, but maybe that's just my memory, because I tend to get tired of wordsearches when there's more than one in a puzzle game...

Hmm....perhaps you're thinking of another Cliff Johnson game, At The Carnival? That had a number of word searches, and no overarching metapuzzle. 3 in Three, on the other hand, had a metapuzzle design along the lines of The Fool's Errand.
Stretch
Thu Sep 06 2007, 04:10PM

Registered Member #17
Yeah great thread idea. I've not heard of this Ninety Nine Nights.. *googlygoogle*.
And i'd love to know if the marvel TCG game is any good?. I also don't ever seem to have anyone to play any TCG's with.

Right now i'm very into my ps2 games..
Rogue Galaxy - 7
Canis Canem Edit (A.K.A. Bully) - 6
Obcsure - 2 (multiplayer keeps it entertaining and new one comes out soon so need to finish it)
Shadow of Destiny - 8
Free Running - 5

http://lanlounge.org/ronin
Parasol
Thu Sep 06 2007, 04:23PM

Registered Member #14
Andromus wrote ...

Parasol wrote ...

Hmm....perhaps you're thinking of another Cliff Johnson game, At The Carnival? That had a number of word searches, and no overarching metapuzzle. 3 in Three, on the other hand, had a metapuzzle design along the lines of The Fool's Errand.

Ah, I think you're right! It's been a long time, so I got them mixed up...

Sleepy
Fri Sep 07 2007, 08:45AM

Registered Member #1
Parasol wrote ...

Ninety-Nine Nights is the first game that jumps out at me... N3 and Ridge Racer 6 were the sole reasons I bought a 360 at launch, for I truly love the Dynasty Warriors series of games... combining that with Mizuguchi's direction, and some absolutely beautiful character designs, this should theoretically be my most favourite game of all time! Yet... it took me about a year after I got a 360 to buy it (mainly due to waiting for a price drop), and I still have only played the first characters missions. I'm not really sure why-- it just seems that whenever I want to play a DW-style game, I just end up playing DW itself. Ah well! One thing that did concern me about the game though, is that you need seperate save slots for each character... if you overwrite a previous characters save, you lose all your character progression, and have to start their missions over from Level 1 again.

I was really enjoying N3 when I started playing it, but over time a few things started to bug me:

• Character unlocking - I really don't like the way they did character unlocking. I would have much preferred if all (or at least 4) of the characters were available from the beginning. This would have allowed more variety by letting me switch back and forth between different characters and not getting bored of playing a single one. Worst of all is that the second character's story seems almost identical to the first. So you feel like you have to do the same 7 missions twice in order to get to other characters.
  • Missions too long - It wouldn't be an issue if there was at least some kind of checkpoint system. The biggest problem is that the hordes of baddies that you fight through are really no danger to your character's health. It's only when you get to the bosses that can take you out with 3 well-placed swipes that you get worried. Of course, you only get to the boss after fighting through the weak little minions for 30 minutes. I and a friend tried Aspharr's final mission probably a dozen times before finishing it. If I had been playing by myself, I probably would have quit.
  • Lose everything if you fail - I can't count how many times I leveled up or collected some good item in a mission only to fail at the end and not get to keep what I earned. That always felt like a slap in the face and frustrated me a lot.
  • Save system - You already mentioned this. No idea why they decided to do things that way. When I started playing my second character I made sure to look up how the save system worked on the web so I didn't blow my effort on the first character away.
  • Replaying missions - This is probably the least of my gripes because I enjoyed trying to better my score to get items, but a gripe nonetheless. As I got to the later missions in each story I definitely found myself outclassed in power. After trying a few times and failing, I would go back and replay the earlier missions to gain levels and find more items through chests or higher mission grades. Once I did that I was able to beat the other missions. My problem was that the game seemed to force mission replays for your character to have any hope of advancing. Combine that with the "Lose everything if you fail" problem and you're signing your player up for a potentially frustrating experience. I think future missions should be easier if you replay earlier ones, but it should still be possible if you don't.

Now with all these bad things it might sound like I didn't want to play the game at all, and for a time I didn't. After beating Inphyy's missions I started on Aspharr's and felt like I was playing the same game over again with only trivial differences. That made me lose interest fast. Luckily, I had a friend who was interested in the game, so I let him play through Aspharr's missions for me. After Inphyy and Aspharr, the other unlockable characters have been much more interesting and different to play. I do really like how this is really one big story told from many perspectives, and that's part of what attracts me to the game.

I knew that N3 was supposed to be like Dynasty Warriors but I had never played any of that series. Playing N3 did make me want to go back and track down some of the DW games though... especially if they don't have some of the issues I had with N3.

Parasol wrote ...

Marvel Trading Card Game - I completely forgot that this game existed! Is it any good? I do like computerised TCGs when done well, because I sure don't know anybody to play actual TCGs with...

This one I will have to admit that I am a little biased towards because I was the lead programmer for the PC/PSP versions of the game. :)

I am pretty proud of it for the most part considering what we had to accomplish. In all the reviews the main complaints were the complexity of the game... and I whole-heartedly agree that parts of it can be very confusing (especially so for the programmers). Of course, since we were porting an already existing physical card game with established rules, we had no choice in the matter.

As for the question of "Is it good?"... that's kind of a loaded question. I would say that we did an excellent job at translating the physical card game to the computer screen. Anyone who enjoys the card game should enjoy all of the perks the video game version provides such as viewing the chain of effects, highlighting valid card choices, etc. The second part of the question is really "Do the rules and cards make for a fun gaming experience?". I personally enjoyed it a lot, although I had no previous experience with TCGs to compare it to. Of course, I had more than enough time to get good at it and understand everything. I have heard other Magic: The Gathering players describe Marvel as having more depth and more complexity. After reading the 100-page comprehensive rulebook cover to cover for the project I can believe it.

I think the single player mode is fun and has comic cutscenes drawn by actual Marvel artists, but it's very long and you get new cards a little too slowly for my tastes. The AI that I designed plays a pretty decent game and should be more than enough challenge for most players, but the experts will thrash it handily.

The Online Multiplayer mode follows the trend of Magic's online outing in making the client free but forcing players to buy virtual packs of cards. I'm not terribly fond of that design decision either, but the publishers decide how they want to make their money. At least you get a free starter deck so you can really try out the online portion completely free of charge before deciding that you want to lay cash down.

It may seem strange that I would actually play a game I spent a year of my life working on, but in reality, I didn't get to play the game very much during its development. I was constantly testing rules, card powers and interactions, and stuff like that. So I rarely got to sit down and play through complete games... and even when I did it was always a work in progress so some cards or rules didn't work. The only time I got a chance to actually enjoy the game was after it was done.

Anyway, I could ramble on and on about this, but if you're interested go check it out at marvletcgonline.com

[ Edited Fri Sep 07 2007, 08:48AM ]
GPP Mk7
Fri Sep 07 2007, 12:33PM
Registered Member #20
Earlier this year I decided to devote my free time to playing as many of the (2D) Castlevania games I could. I've since found a few from the 16-bit era that are just poor/way too cheap, but luckily the handhelds have had some excellent examples.

Right now it's...

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - 8
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon - 7

I really recommend against trying to play more than one Castlevania at a time, but it's the position in which I currently find myself nonetheless.

A few others:

Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 9
Enclave (PC) - 4
Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's - 3 (3 as in there are 3 songs worth bothering with, not surprisingly)

If we could list every game we've started but not yet finished here, I'd be embarrassed. And in a lot of pain.

"Genuine People Personalities" is a trademark of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

SHARE AND ENJOY!

Sleepy
Sat Sep 29 2007, 08:04AM

Registered Member #1
Kingdom of Paradise - 4
The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 7
War of the Ring - 6
Areala
Sat Sep 29 2007, 08:10PM
Registered Member #10
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction - 9 (great game!)
Shining Force EXA - 8.5
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - 10 (best RPG ever made)
GPP Mk7
Sun Sep 30 2007, 02:27PM
Registered Member #20
Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix - 9

"Genuine People Personalities" is a trademark of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

SHARE AND ENJOY!

Stretch
Fri Oct 12 2007, 04:32AM

Registered Member #17
Death to Spies - 8 (Very hard, like Hitman in WW2).
ET Quake Wars - 6

Sleepy
Thu Nov 01 2007, 03:53PM

Registered Member #1
Guitar Hero III - 5
Sleepy
Sat Nov 03 2007, 09:00PM

Registered Member #1
Runaway - 7
spekulyst
Sun Nov 04 2007, 09:51PM

Registered Member #31
Finally got my hands on Mercury Meltdown: Revolution ($20 New) for the Wii - 8

Life is good...*Enter Games*...Life is Great
Stretch
Wed Nov 07 2007, 10:46PM

Registered Member #17
Half-Life 2 - Episode 2 - 8
Tex Murphy Overseer - 8
Call of Cthulhu - 6

Parasol
Fri Nov 09 2007, 11:32AM

Registered Member #14
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 8
(about time I finally got around to playing it, I've owned it for a couple of years but have never been in that 'Zelda mood' to play it 'til now. ^^)

Sleepy
Sat Dec 08 2007, 06:17AM

Registered Member #1
Neverwinter Nights - 7
Areala
Wed Dec 12 2007, 04:20PM
Registered Member #10
Manhunt 2 (PS2) - 6.5

I really wanted to like this game, especially considering how much I liked the original, but they just ruined it; the screen-weirding effects during the violent scenes gave me headaches and I could see the "plot twist" of the game coming from the moment I started up the first level. Just a disappointment in virtually every area for me sadly.

Godzilla Unleashed (PS2) - 8

Big monsters smashing through the world, wrecking buildings, beating the crap out of one another, with most of their film-showcased powers intact? What's NOT to like? A great multi-player mode that lets you use your unlocked monsters in 2-, 3- and 4-player brawl mode only keeps things even more fun, and story mode changes from game to game depending on which monster you choose and which faction you are representing. Tons of fun, and I can only assume the Wii version is even better. :)
Go to page       >>   

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF