<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The Now Playing thread
Go to page   <<      
Moderators: Sleepy
Author Post
MaxKnight
Tue Mar 16 2010, 09:05PM
Registered Member #5
Oh, hey, why not? I enjoy sharing as much as the next guy.

(Genesis) Shining Force - 7

I quite enjoy Tactical RPGs, so you'd think Shining Force would be perfect. In this case, it suffers from many problems resolved in the sequel, mostly in the interface department. I can't relate to these characters as well, though it may have to do with having played the second game before this one. I'm currently Let's Playing this, so feel free to drop by my YouTube Channel to watch me flail against this game. Username is MaxKnight1010101 there.

(PSP) Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - 9

Another TRPG, though this one is a familiar favorite. It suffers from a small bit of slowdown, but I do not count that against it. I had started a loose Archer SCC some time ago, which I've taken up continuing recently. It's a lot of fun to run around plinking things with arrows!

(Genesis) Shining Force II - 9

Hah, can't escape them. Anyways, the base game suffers from balance issues, though fortunately, there are editors for this game that let you fix many of these issues, which is what I'm actually playing right now. I've mostly gone to the effort to fix where the designers actually used the precisely wrong values for base statistics, among other oversights. I fancy myself a master of the statistics in this game, going so far as to have made a spreadsheet which can plot every predictable level for every character of every class, even factoring in the random aspect of the level formula.

(PC) Might and Magic VII - 9

A rather competent fellow by the name of Greyface released a patch for this which fixes many additional bugs with this game, including those that allow for a better playing experience on higher end systems. I'm currently running through with two slightly different parties: Thief-Archer-Cleric-Druid, and Thief-Paladin-Cleric-Druid. What can I say? I want to be able to appreciate those two different classes, and felt the need to bring those others along for my own protection. :P

(PC) Touhou 6 - The Embodiment of Scarlet Devil - 9

Yes, I've fallen prey to the Siren's Call of Touhou. What can I say? It's fun, and the music is awesome. In this case, though, I suck at it. Even more unfortunate is the fact that I seem to only be able to play it a certain number of times before it fails to load entirely. I'll need to reboot my computer to get it to load again. :/ Which brings me to...

(PC) Touhou 7 - Perfect Cherry Blossom - 10

This one doesn't fail to load, and the music is, in fact, even better. Doesn't change the fact that I suck at it, but it's at least somewhat easier then 6. I should really attempt to use more than Reimu A, though. There's 5 more possibilities to play as, and yet I always choose the same character...
Areala
Thu Mar 18 2010, 05:40PM
Registered Member #10
The Saboteur (PS3) - 8.5

The swan song of Pandemic Studios, the brains behind the first Star Wars Battlefront, both Mercenaries titles, and a bevy of other third-person games. The Saboteur fixes everything that was wrong with Mercenaries 2 while still keeping everything that made it fun and even allowing for some new play tactics.

There are some issues with graphical tearing, a few bugs that have been annoying (but not rendered it unplayable), and the climbing system requires a lot of button-mashing, but aside from that, it's just a fun experience. You play as Sean Devlin, an Irishman trapped in Nazi-occupied France at the start of World War II. It's a bleak, black-and-white world, but the more havoc you cause and the more areas of France you liberate, the more the colour returns to the world. It's a neat system, and it really gives you a sense of accomplishment watching areas transform from a Sin City-esque area with the only colour being bright Nazi red into a fully-realized world.

Pandemic was acquired by EA and then shut down, so this is the last game they produced, and I have to say, they went out with a bang. I'm loving it. :)
Andromus
Sun Mar 21 2010, 11:22AM
Registered Member #15
Portal -- 9

This is one of those games I wish I would have gotten around to sooner. A brilliant concept with some great puzzles, good writing as well. A little too much hand holding in spots for my taste, but that's a minor problem compared to how the game shines.

Mass Effect 2 -- 8

Hearing about how much improved this was over the first Mass Effect, I was hoping for a more robust RPG in this game. I didn't get that, unfortunately, but what I did get (a sort of tactical shooter) turned out to be enjoyable as well.

Sleepy
Fri Apr 16 2010, 11:11AM

Registered Member #1
Galcon Fusion - 8

A little indie game that is best described as Risk in real-time with a space theme. The mechanics are dead simple but it has a surprising amount of strategy to it.
Andromus
Fri May 21 2010, 03:40PM
Registered Member #15
Half Life 2 (along with episodes 1 and 2) -- 8

Everything I enjoyed about Half Life 1 with its cinematic feel, but ever so much more so.

Azada -- 6

A casual puzzle game. Rather easy, but it still was a fun little diversion.
Sleepy
Fri Jun 25 2010, 11:28AM

Registered Member #1
Sleepy wrote ...

Galcon Fusion - 8

A little indie game that is best described as Risk in real-time with a space theme. The mechanics are dead simple but it has a surprising amount of strategy to it.

If anybody's interested in this, Steam is running some killer deals right now including Galcon Fusion for only $2.50
Sleepy
Sat Jul 03 2010, 01:04PM

Registered Member #1
Sam and Max: Season One - 10

This is what a point-and-click adventure game should be. Great writing. Great voice acting. Great puzzles (challenging enough to stump me a few times, but intuitive enough where I haven't had to consult a walkthrough). Great use of the episodic format (e.g. - recurring jokes).
Andromus
Sun Jul 04 2010, 07:43PM
Registered Member #15
And Yet It Moves -- 7

A platformer with a twist -- you can flip the screen as you go. An impassable wall, for example, becomes a floor. Short, but fun.

Slip Space: The Burma-Shave Analogy -- 8

A Myst-like game, but much more surreal, sort of Myst, Obsidian, and Rhem all rolled up into one. Puzzles were for the most well balanced, challenging without being frustrating. I enjoyed it very much.

The Whispered World -- 8

A retro style point and click adventure. I loved the scenario, and found most of the puzzles to be pretty good, but the game is really hampered by an awkward English translation and very low res graphics settings that don't do justice to the amount of work that went into the art itself.

Murder on the Orient Express -- 8

It took some liberties with the original Agatha Christie story, but the changes mostly work. Much better than I thought it was going to be after being let down by its predecessor, And Then There Were None.

Puzzle Agent, Big Brain Wolf -- 6

Puzzle Agent was worth playing for the way it captures the quirky and eerie feel of Graham Annable's animation shorts. With a few exceptions, though, the puzzles weren't very inspired, mostly consisting of old chestnuts. And it was much too short for the price, being only a few hours long at most.

Big Brain Wolf is a puzzle game in a comedic fairy tale setting. There was some potential there, but it was mostly wasted by an mediocre translation, so the jokes didn't really work. A few of the puzzles either broke their own rules, or ignored other possible solutions. And the puzzles tended to get repetitive. For example, there is no need for more than one Tower of Hanoi puzzle in a game, if any at all.

MaxKnight
Thu Jul 08 2010, 08:11AM
Registered Member #5
Gee, it's been awhile... Been busy making videos and working on my edit of Shining Force 2.

(Genesis) Warsong - 8

It's a different take on the idea of SRPGs, but still quite enjoyable. There's a somewhat steep learning curve to the game, but once you overcome the first few hurdles, it really starts to feel natural. I've not progressed entirely too far through it, but from what I've seen, I'm certainly going to continue liking it.

(DS) Pokémon HeartGold - 10

The high point of the series thus far. I started in back when Red and Blue first came out and have been a lifer ever since. Generation 4 has more or less fixed everything that was ever with the previous games. At this point, I'm just endlessly piling on praise, so I think I'll stop there.

(GB) Pokémon Red - 8

Now this one I'm playing as a Let's Play. I just started this LP series this week, so I'm not very far through the game, but as I said, I'm a lifer. I've been quite spoiled by playing Pearl and HeartGold, though, and may sometimes confuse a concept. Haven't decided on a final team as of yet.

Haven't given myself time to play much else what with doing my first balancing runthrough of my edit of Shining Force 2. I think I'll have to play it at least three times to make sure I've balanced all of the enemies stats to scale the difficulty properly with how I've rebalanced the stats of the characters. In the end, I want people to feel like they can experience everything in this game without feeling like they are becoming overpowered or possibly without feeling like they are gimping themselves by taking a lower powered character. It's all about making choices and having fun, after all.
RedConversation
Sun Jul 18 2010, 09:28AM
Registered Member #166
(Xbox360) Silent Hill: Homecoming - 6.5/10

Silent Hill has always been one of my home titles. Silent Hill (1999), Half-Life (1998), and Fallout (1997) were the games that made me take video games seriously as a form of narrative. Homecoming seems to suffer the film quite a bit, especially it its inability to comprehend the core rules of the universe. Like the film, Homecoming seems to forget that the town of Silent Hill is supposedly an active resort town, as well it seems to have its level and Manifestation designs more inclined for shock value than the uneasiness of being alone, in the dark, and certain of some unknown monstrosity around the next corner that isn't there. The monstrosities seem to lack their prerequisite symbolism as well, but I suppose coming up with completely new creatures to represent the protagonist's particular fears and delusions is hard.

(PC) The Sims 3: Ambitions 8/10

Somehow, the Sims 3 is one of the few "sequels" that succeeds at being both true to, and more interesting than its predecessors. It may not have given us everything we wanted out of it, but compared to the Sims 2 at Expansion 2 it's still vastly superior. My personal favorite, Open For Business, was the third expansion for The Sims 2 after all.

(PC) Sword Of The Stars - 9.0/10

A Spacefaring RTS/Turn-based Strategy Hybrid at it's best. The artwork is weak, the writing is standard at best, but the battles are actually quite epic, and the fact that the game was made by a relatively small team and the sheer fact it shipped with almost no DRM (I'm not sure if there's even a proper CD check or serial, come to think of it) makes it a must-have for any gamer.

A lot of game developers are really concerned about games not being taken "seriously". It's always been my opinion that if you have to ask for someone to take you seriously, you are not worthy of serious attention. If people find your content to be meritous, merit will be given. My concern about the lack of mature themes in games is personal. I think most games have uninteresting stories that explore irrelevant or trite subjects and they are really boring as a result.- J.E. Sawyer
MaxKnight
Tue Jul 20 2010, 07:20AM
Registered Member #5
(PC) Civilization 4 - 10

I picked this up again in the last couple of weeks. As expected, I still mostly suck at it. It's so much fun, though. I've owned the game and its expansions for many years, and still haven't learned how to properly balance my military and economy. I'm trying to improve, though!
Sleepy
Sat Jan 01 2011, 10:44AM

Registered Member #1
Prince of Persia (2008) - 7

This is the recent reboot of the franchise with a different story and a different Prince. While all the mechanics are solid and the world is certainly beautiful to look at, I couldn't help but feel many times like I was playing Dragon's Lair or some other quick-time event based game instead of a platformer. It does get bonus points for a moderately interesting story told with excellent dialogue and voice acting.
Sleepy
Fri Jan 14 2011, 10:06AM

Registered Member #1
Fantasy Wars - 10

Loving this game currently. Actually started playing Elven Legacy (the sequel) first. Then, found out about Fantasy Wars and went back to play it. I certainly miss the days of good turn-based strategy games.
RedConversation
Wed Mar 02 2011, 05:07PM
Registered Member #166
Bully - 8

Mass Effect - 6

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II - 4

The Sims 3: Late Night - 8

A lot of game developers are really concerned about games not being taken "seriously". It's always been my opinion that if you have to ask for someone to take you seriously, you are not worthy of serious attention. If people find your content to be meritous, merit will be given. My concern about the lack of mature themes in games is personal. I think most games have uninteresting stories that explore irrelevant or trite subjects and they are really boring as a result.- J.E. Sawyer
GPP Mk7
Wed Mar 28 2012, 11:22AM
Registered Member #20
Been a while since I've visited IG...

Sanitarium - Areala, if you're still around, I believe my problem with this game is that it is the original. I bought it in 1999 for my wife, actually, who was interested in it for some reason. I'm aware that gog.com sells a version which is updated to run on modern systems. I sent them an email asking if there was some way for me to simply obtain a patch of sorts from them to get a game I already own running, rather than having to buy their version. I got a response that was polite, but the person claimed that it wouldn't be that simple, and they don't operate in such a way, even if I were to offer some money for the code, packed up nice & tidy in an installer, necessary to get it running.

Just a few games I've played in the interim:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii, played Gamecube version) - 10
Finished it, fantastic game, took me right at 100 hours to complete.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (PC, with Complete 2009 patch) - 9
Different, often difficult, looking forward to the other two in this series.

Battlefield: Bad Company (360) - 10
I loved all the dialog and quips between the members of your squad, the wide open areas you could just run around in until you were ready to advance the mission, the overall story was just great and sometimes funny. I also loved how you could use a building for cover, but not for very long since it could be gradually shot/blown to pieces, forcing you to find another place to hide behind.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (360) - 8
It was good, improved in some areas, but just more linear overall. Nothing like Call of Duty linear, but still not so grand in scope as the first one. Improved cover destruction was nice. I don't play games online on the 360, so I don't benefit from what I know has to be a great time with either of these two games.

Borderlands (360) - 9
Awesome game from Gearbox. Perfect blend of FPS and RPG. Only game I've bought DLC for, just so I could extend the fun. Zombie Island of Dr. Ned was excellent in my opinion; Secret Armory of General Knoxx was longer, but not quite as fun.

Fallout 3 (PC) - 8
Love this game, but it's just not as stable as I'd like. Running on Windows 7 64-bit Professional. I've gotten it to where crashes are very rare now thanks to advice from around the web, and have learned to save very frequently. I'd rate it a 9 or maybe 10 if not for technical problems.

"Genuine People Personalities" is a trademark of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

SHARE AND ENJOY!

GPP Mk7
Thu Mar 29 2012, 09:40PM
Registered Member #20
Trine (PC) - 7

Ninja Gaiden II (360) - 8
I didn't understand what everyone's complaint was about the game's difficulty until I ran into Shadow Ninja Rasetsu for the second time. Quite frustrating not being able to do anything other than receive blow after blow until dying. Every single time. I now see this is one of those rare games, like Severance: Blade of Darkness on PC, that would fall into the "hardcore" category. The player must either be masochistic or exceedingly determined to acquire the skill necessary to master it. These types of games aren't "cheap", they just demand a level of skill that most of us old-timers have forgotten about over the years. I've gotten so flabby (regarding gaming skill) over the years, due to the overall trend of games taking it easy on the player, that when faced with this kind of challenge in a game, I just want to go hide under a rock and play Angry Birds, sucking my thumb.

"Genuine People Personalities" is a trademark of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation.

SHARE AND ENJOY!

Go to page   <<       

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF